The Dirty History of Franks, in a shot glass:
- Dirty Franks opened its doors as "Franks" on November 8th 1933, and was owned by Lou Silverman.
- Prohibition was repealed Dec. 5th 1933 (how did Lou know?).
- Frank Vigderman was the second owner. Apparently due to his hygiene, the name "Dirty Franks" was born.
- John Segal was the third owner from 1959-1978. He tried to change the name to the "347 bar" but it never really stuck. In August of 1965 Dirty Franks was closed for 45 days as penalty for serving minors. John took the opportunity to tear down the dividing wall between the two rooms and to build the horseshoe-shaped bar that we still have today.
- Jay McConnell became the fourth owner from 1978-2011. He completely embraced and embodied the Dirty Franks persona.
- The Off the Wall gallery was launched in 1979 by by Jay with Mary Liz, Bunky Devichios, and Phil Sumpter.
- Since 2011, Dirty Franks is owned by Brad Pierce and Jody Sweitzer, two longtime employees of the "institution".
There you have it. And, as they say, much is still to be written...